The RHS Campaign for School Gardening inspires and supports schools to provide children with gardening opportunities to enhance their skills and boost their development.
Our work with schools has shown that the direct benefits of gardening for children are wide ranging:
- Improves physical and mental well-being
- Builds life skills such as confidence, teamwork and communication
- Enhances literacy, numeracy and oracy skills
- Enriches the entire curriculum from science, maths and geography, to art, design and languages
- Encourages a better and healthier lifestyle
- Teaches about the environment and sustainability
- Helps young people engage with their surroundings better and develop a sense of responsibility
Level 1Plan it
Planning your gardening project and identifying the benefits to your school or group.
- Three Habitat Identification Guides (for woodlands, gardens and grasslands)
Level 2Grow it
Beginning to grow plants and use tools safely and understanding basic gardening terms.
- RHS How to Grow Practically Everything and 30% off Bulldog Tools
Level 3Build on it
Building on practical skills, growing a range of plants and understanding environmental issues.
- Rocket Gardens Schools Constant Garden gift voucher
Level 4Know it
Using tools professionally, planning seasonally to harvest produce throughout the year and beginning to fundraise for the garden through enterprise projects.
- Raspberry Pi time lapse photography kit